Current version: 3.0.0
FBZX is a Sinclair Spectrum emulator, designed to work at full screen using the FrameBuffer or under
X-Windows. Its main features are:
- emulates acurately the Original spectrum (both issue 2 and issue 3), the classic 128K,
the Amstrad Plus 2, the Amstrad Plus 2A and the Spanish 128K. This include screen,
keyboard and sound (both speaker and AY-3-8912 chip).
- Screen emulation is extremely acurate, so it can emulate border efects and even atribute efects.
- Supports Z80 snapshots, both loading and saving, and loading .SNA snapshots.
- Supports TAP and TZX (both read and write) tape files, supporting normal speed
loading and fast speed loading.
- Emulates joysticks: kempston, cursor and sinclair.
- Emulates the Interface I and Microdrive.
- Emulates the ULAPlus
- Based in a new, fully free, Z80 emulator (Z80Free).
- Is distributed under GPLv3 license.
FBZX uses the SDL libpulse0 and libasound2 libraries, so you need them
to be able to run the emulator (unless you recompile it; in that case you can choose which of them to use).
GIT repository: github.com/rastersoft/fbzx
Package for Debian Jessie: 32bit 64bit
Package for Ubuntu Vivid: 32bit 64bit
Package for Fedora 21: 32bit 64bit
History of versions
- Version 3.0.0 (2015-04-01)
- Now allows to run in TURBO mode when the tape is playing, and return to NORMAL mode when the tape is paused
- Sorts the files and folders alphabetically
- Allows to use fast-load with some parts of TZX files
- Allows to save data both in TAP and TZX files
- Allows to do FAST-SAVE in +3 mode
- Allows to create TZX files
- New fonts for menus
- Fixed an stupid bug in the FAST LD_BYTES code that avoided it to work as expected
- Supports new TZX blocks, like "pause if 48K mode"
- Refactorized in C++
- Version 2.11.0 (2015-03-29)
- Allows to play and pause the tape even with the FAST LOAD mode enabled
- Adds some noise in the tape bit to ensure that the user knows when a program is waiting to load from tape
- Version 2.10.0 (2012-08-08)
- Fixed CPIR, CPDR, INI, INIR, IND, INDR, OUTI, OTIR, OUTD and OTDR instructions (thanks to Fabio Olimpieri)
- Fixed RETI and RETN instructions to better mimic the original behaviour (thanks to Fabio Olimpieri)
- Big rewrote of the AY-3-8912 code, greatly improving the emulation (thanks to Fabio Olimpieri)
- Version 2.9.0 (2012-05-22)
- Fixed CPIR and CPDR, so now Ant Attack works fine (thanks to Fabio Olimpieri)
- Now CPIR and CPDR sets the N bit
- Access to the ULAPLUS registers now produces memory contention, as it should be (thanks to Fabio Olimpieri)
- Now initializates some registers when loading a .sna snapshot (thanks to Fabio Olimpieri)
- Version 2.8.0 (2012-05-20)
- Fixed OUTI, OTIR, OUTD and OTDR: now decrements B before doing OUT (thanks to Fabio Olimpieri)
- Now the snapshot management functions doesn't use so many stack memory (thanks to Fabio Olimpieri)
- Fixed a bug in screen painting with big endian machines (thanks to Fabio Olimpieri)
- Fixed key order for Sinclair Joystick #2 (thanks to Fabio Olimpieri)
- Fixed the Z80 emulator tests for big endian machines (thanks to Fabio Olimpieri)
- Removed anoying sound when reseting the emulator
- Version 2.7.0 (2011-12-06)
- Added 320x240 mode for tiny devices
- Now remembers again the last mode (48K, 128K...)
- Version 2.6.0 (2011-12-03)
- ULAPlus support
- Allows to go to submenus from the HELP menu
- Fixed a little bug when loading ROMs
- Version 2.5.0 (2011-04-07)
- Allows to insert POKE values
- Emulates B&W TV sets
- Allows to load and save SCR snapshots
- Version 2.4.3 (2011-03-30)
- Now honours the -ds flag when launching from command line (thanks to the developers of Gelide),
and adds the opposite flag, -ss.
- Version 2.4.2 (2011-02-17)
- Fixed a bug with ALSA sound
- Version 2.4.1 (2010-03-15)
- Ensured compatibility with 64bit systems
- Version 2.4.0 (2010-02-21)
- Fixed a bug in SNA loader (thanks to Jose Luis)
- Added a DC filter in PulseAudio sound, to avoid losing the sound when mixing with other audio sources (thanks to Paul N)
- Added a help message at startup
- Version 2.3.0
- Support for PulseAudio sound daemon.
- Allows to selectively compile the sound backends (OSS, ALSA and/or PulseAudio).
- Version 2.2.0
- Improved emulation, thanks to the use of Z80 tests from Fuse.
- Version 2.1b
- Renamed directory roms in the TAR.BZ2 package to spectrum-roms,
to allow FBZX to run from a local directory, without needing to install it globally (DEB package with version 2.1
works fine, so has not been replaced).
- Version 2.1
- Changed the ROM format for compatibility with files in Debian package SPECTRUM-ROMS
- Added new icon (thanks to Paulo Silva)
- Version 2.0
- Finally 100% free code, thanks to a new Z80 emulator written from scratch.
- Emulates the Spanish 128K (thanks to J. Baltasar)
- Can use ALSA or OSS to sound output
- Stores the volume settings
- Can be run from the local directory, without installing in /usr
- Fixed a bug in the sound with some soundcards
- Version 1.10
- Allows to switch between window and fullscreen mode (thanks to Marcin Bukat).
- Added a TURBO mode to load TZX files faster (thanks again to Marcin Bukat).
- Shows FBZX as window title.
- Version 1.9
- Now stores the current mode (spectrum type, joystick...) and restores it
the next time is launched.
- Allows to close the emulator by clicking on the X button in the window bar.
- Allows to put the screen in "double scanline" mode.
- If it can't gain access to the sound, it will start without it, instead of
- Version 1.8
- Fixed a bug when loading .Z80 snapshots
- Added support for .SNA snapshots
- Added support for Joysticks
- Now creates an entry in the GNOME/KDE menus
- Can load snapshots or tapes from the command line
- Allows to asociate to it the file extensions .SNA, .Z80, .TAP and TZX so you
can load games just clicking over the file.
- Version 1.7
- Fixed a bug in the creation of 128K snapshots
- Fixed the memory access ports in 128K mode
- Version 1.6
- Fixed an stupid bug that can crash FBZX
- Added support for rotated, 480x640 screens (like PDAs)
- Direct support for 8, 16, 24 and 32 bpp (more performance)
- Added contended memory emulation
- Added support for ',' and '.' keys
- Added FullScreen mode in XWindows
- Added a picture with the keyboard layout
- Added support for computers without function keys
- Asks for confirmation before exiting
- Fixed the version number
- Version 1.5
- Direct compilation under BIG ENDIAN arquitectures (eg. PowerPC).
- Version 1.4
- Added the hability to create .TAP files and save to them.
- Added Interface I and Microdrive emulation (read and write).
- Added emulation of Delete key.
- Added emulation of SNOW effect.
- Fixed a little bug in the fast-TAP loader.
- Fixed a speed problem when used without sound.
- Version 1.3
- Better support for TZX files
- Version 1.2
- Added support for TZX tape files.
- Fixed a bug in the file selector.
- Added right emulation of register R.
- Added a digital low-pass filter to enhace the 48K sound.
- Version 1.1
- Changed all the sound arquitecture. Now works directly with OSS instead the SDL layer. This allows to fix a sincronization problem and some glitches in the sound.
- Now can be run without sound (you can use it in a box without sound card).
- Version 1.0.1
- Very little fixes to remove some innocent warnings during compilation. Thanks to Philip Kendall.
- Version 1.0
- First public release.
©1996-2015 Sergio Costas Rodríguez, Vigo. All rights reserved.